Friday, December 24, 2004

Former Baltimore and Texas manager Johnny Oates dies at 58

Hats off to a class act and a man who was deeply devoted to God and to his family.

"Johnny Oates, who managed the Texas Rangers to their first three postseason appearances, died early Friday. He was 58."

"Oates and his wife began each morning studying the Bible in the sunroom of their home on Lake Chesdin, about 30 miles from Richmond, and were active in their church. Oates also attended local baseball games periodically, but increasingly needed help to get there after the brain surgery slowly caused the left side of his body to become lame."

``I don't miss baseball one single bit. I enjoy talking about it, but I know I can't do it anymore. I like to watch it on TV,'' he said in an interview with The Associated Press in March 2003. ``I miss the people. I don't miss the stress that went with it, all the decision-making. But now I enjoy being here. I enjoy being lazy.''

Yahoo! Sports

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home